[WBEL-users] UPS

Jan-Albert van Ree javanree at vanree.net
Fri Feb 25 08:45:08 CST 2005

On Friday 25 February 2005 15:01, Benedikt Carda wrote:
> Hi,
>
> can anybody recommend a UPS system that is capable of shutting down
> several Whitebox-Linux servers if power fails? In fact I am looking for
> an UPS for two small servers each having around 150 watts at 230 volts.
> I want them to shut down as soon as power fails. I first looked at
> systems from APC but they only have very little to offer in this case.
> The technicians said that I should use:
>
> APC Smart UPS 1500 with
> PowerChute Network Shutdown (Software) and
>
> Network Management Card AP9617
>
> This together would cost me more than 1000 Euros and they still can not
> guarantee that it works as their software does not officially support Red
> Hat Linux.

The APC UPS will work just fine, just not with PowerChute.
Have a look at http://www2.apcupsd.com/

I've been using that on several machines using APC SmartUPS 750's and it
works like a charm! They've got (S)RPM's even so it's easy to set it up on
your machine, docs are also first-class and web interface is the icing on
the cake.
--
Jan-Albert van Ree  | http://www.vanree.net/brickpiles/
VanRee IT Solutions | http://www.vanree.net