[WBEL-users] What to do with idle bandwidth and processor?

Jan-Albert van Ree javanree at vanree.net
Fri Feb 25 09:38:55 CST 2005

On Friday 25 February 2005 15:59, Scott Heisler wrote:
> The end user is
> enjoying a heyday right now but that will end soon enough!  Look at the
> whole telecom industry.  How many companies are left now?  What happens
> when competition goes away?  Look at Microsoft for that answer! GREED!
> PRICE HIKES!

It's obvious you're only talking about the US, since in Europe telco's get
stiff competition from the cable companies. Both now offer
TV+Internet+phone services, and neither will budge soon so prices in Europe
will keep falling.

> Anyway, the point of this is that your DSL service is subject to usage
> requirements.  If you look at any DSL contract by ANY ISP (including AOL
> & EarthLink), you will see fine print that they have the right to cancel
> your service for heavy usage or abuse.  Note that you're STILL 100%
> responsible for the remainder of your contracted time frame, even if
> they cancel your service.

Not in Europe, the last bit you describe would be against the law, and
several ISP's have already changed their ToS that allows you to up- &
download as much as you want, NO limits whatsoever...

Here's the announcement from my ISP :
http://www.xs4all.nl/nieuws/bericht.php?id=613&taal=en&msect=nieuws
Abuse is another thing, but I can now leech 10 GB/day if I'd want to...

> here.  Be considerate.  Remember, you're probably paying the same amount
> of money as a dial-up line  (with the dedicated telephone line for it)
> and getting 100x the bandwidth.  Don't abuse it!

Over here you still pay double or more for DSL, as you pay both the ISP and
the telco....
--
Jan-Albert van Ree  | http://www.vanree.net/brickpiles/
VanRee IT Solutions | http://www.vanree.net