[WBEL-users] What to do with idle bandwidth and processor?

Scott Heisler scott.heisler at huntleighusa.com
Fri Feb 25 08:59:24 CST 2005

 This is another perfect example of home-users expecting the world for
nothing and change back.  I understand what you "think" your paying for.
Unfortunately, you're not paying for dedicated service.  ISPs have NEVER
indicated that home DSL service is intended for "dedicated use".  If
they have, they're smokin the good stuff!  Business DSL has been sold
that way and is usually quite a bit more.  T

Just to provide some background, the Telephone companies created DSL for
one reason, to keep them from having to upgrade the very expensive (and
in my cases very old) telephone switches.  It was cheaper for the
"BELLS" to implement DSL for their subscribers who were using telephone
lines for Internet than it was to replace the switches in their COs that
were being overrun by households getting extra telephone lines for
Internet access and then keeping the connection up 24/7.  You see, the
telephone system in our country is a "shared" model as well.  The
telephone company doesn't have the capacity for everyone to pick up
their phone and dial at the same time.  Therefore, DSL was a cheaper
alternative (for the BELLs) to get people away from dial-up lines, which
are more costly for them than DSL since DSL is a non-switched service.

That being said, it was the BELLs who marked the DSL as cheap as they
do.  DSL has put mountains of ISPs out of business because the bandwidth
to provide DSL costs more and provides less revenue than dial-up or
business dedicated users.  I resell DSL for this reason as it was not
possible, as a small ISP to provide DSL.  Did you know that the static
price for the DSL line is $34.99/month.  So, if I'm charging $49.99 a
month, I'm only making $15/month per subscriber.  Take the same model
for dial-up.  Dial-up users pay me $15 a month and my cost is around $4.
Dial-up users, however, only use 56k of bandwidth so if you stretch that
out, I can provide 24 simultaneous dial-up subscribers with 100%
bandwidth usage easily on a  T1 (which costs around $400-500 a month).
Usually, you can double or triple this number because of the "shared"
access dial-up user model.  In the old days, some ISPs would go as far
as 10-to-1.  With DSL, I can only provide service to 3 or 4 dedicated
subscribers for the same $400-500 cost for the T1.  In the shared model,
double or triple that.. You're still at 8 or 12 subscribers.  At a
profit of $15/month, that's only $180 a month off of 12 subscribers.
It just doesn't make good business sense as it doesn't even cover the
cost of the T1 line.  DSL is a looser and is much too cheap.  The only
one that really benefits from DSL is the phone company.  Just wait,
prices will go up once all of the competition is gone!  The end user is
enjoying a heyday right now but that will end soon enough!  Look at the
whole telecom industry.  How many companies are left now?  What happens
when competition goes away?  Look at Microsoft for that answer! GREED!
PRICE HIKES!

Anyway, the point of this is that your DSL service is subject to usage
requirements.  If you look at any DSL contract by ANY ISP (including AOL
& EarthLink), you will see fine print that they have the right to cancel
your service for heavy usage or abuse.  Note that you're STILL 100%
responsible for the remainder of your contracted time frame, even if
they cancel your service.

Also, by being a bandwidth hog, and encouraging others to be bandwidth
hogs, you are hurting the overall network as it places additional
burdens on Isps up the chain.

Think about what you're doing.  Just because an ISP has the capacity for
you, doesn't mean they have the capacity for all of their subscribers to
do just as you want to.  They don't!  They can't afford to have that
much capacity.  It's like throwing trash out the window of your car.
Hey, it's just one bag or one thing.  But if everyone does it, think
about how trashed up the roadways really would be.  The same applies
here.  Be considerate.  Remember, you're probably paying the same amount
of money as a dial-up line  (with the dedicated telephone line for it)
and getting 100x the bandwidth.  Don't abuse it!

Just my thoughts!  No offense to anyone as this is a discussion group.

Thanks.
Scott