[WBEL-users] How can I speed up sendmail

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Feb 25 19:14:27 CST 2005

On Fri, 2005-02-25 at 18:45 -0600, Kirby C. Bohling wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 07:38:36PM -0500, Lewis Culbertson wrote:
> > When my computer starts, send mail takes an unusual long time to load.
> > Also when I send mail, it takes forever to send.
> >
> > How can I fix this problem?
>
> Well, without more information it's hard to know.  Sendmail takes "a
> while" on my machine.  One thing I have noticed is that sendmail
> takes even longer if DNS is having problems.  I've noticed that
> sendmail is fairly sensitive to DNS name lookup problems in general.
> It might be that you have DNS problems in general, or have issues
> where something simple, like reverse lookups for the IP you are
> using doesn't work.
>
> I'd need more information to be more specific then that.
---
usually when sendmail seems to hang for a long time at startup - it's
because op has fooled with /etc/hosts and removed the line that says
don't remove...

# cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain   localhost

it does help to have hostname located in /etc/sysconfig/network be
resolvable via dns

Craig