[WBEL-users] Product Comparison statements for rebuttal

Wed, 05 Jan 2005 23:09:00 -0600

On Thu, 2005-01-06 at 09:40 +0700, Matthew Hodgett wrote:
> >From what I have found there are essentially two products that deliver
> RHEL in a  brown paper bag; CentOS and WhiteBox. And they appear to be
> quite different, not in the product but in the delivery. I would like to
> make a couple of statements and get some reaction on them (also cross
> posted);
>
> CentOS is concentrating on product delivery i.e. there are a group of
> developers that are getting the product and updates out the door in the
> best possible timeframe. The user community is not as active

Don't mistake a lower mailing list volume for a less active community.

There is a large IRC contingent for help ... see this link:

http://www.centos.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=8

and now also a forum for help:

http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/

> and the website developement not a priority

CentOS just stood up a new, more interactive website that was in
development for more than a month:

http://www.centos.org

> (try and find information on CentOS4).

What info do you want about CentOS4 ... I'm the project lead for it :).

There was an announcement on the CentOS-devel list and there is a
section for CentOS-4 in the centos.org forums (see the links below).

CentOS-4 is in Beta (As is RHEL4) right now.

There is only the i386 version now, no x86_64.  The x86_64 version is in
the works right now though.

See these links concerning CentOS-4Beta -
Initial announcement:
http://lists.caosity.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2004-December/000355.html

How to get the ISOs now only via rsync:
http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=82&forum=2

CentOS4 Forum:
http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/index.php?cat=3

Use the bugzilla to input and bugs with it (pick the CentOS-4 product):
http://bugzilla.caosity.org/

> Whitebox has a very active and loyal user community, and the website is
> simplistic in nature representing that Whitebox is being driven
> primarily by a single individual. The product delivery is problematic
> with updates only available as time permits, and mirrors have a history
> of difficulty.
>
> Are there any known conflicts of interest/ideals between the two
> products? What is the chance of future collaberation?

The CentOS team is a community group, and they add developers / helpers
all the time ... in fact, they are asking for people to staff 2 booths
at open source events in mid February now on the mailing list (one in
Boston ... another in California).

See this link (and follow that thread):
http://lists.caosity.org/pipermail/centos/2005-January/001488.html

--