[WBEL-users] Product Comparison statements for rebuttal

donavan nelson donavan@whiteboxlinux.net
Fri, 07 Jan 2005 11:11:33 -0600

Matthew Hodgett wrote:

>From what I have found there are essentially two products that deliver
>RHEL in a  brown paper bag; CentOS and WhiteBox. And they appear to be

"brown paper bag" generally refers to releases that are made with
glaring errors, hence you would rather hide the release from everyone in
a brown paper bag....much like prOn you order in the same.

>quite different, not in the product but in the delivery. I would like to
>make a couple of statements and get some reaction on them (also cross
>posted);

Why didn't you cross post to the CentOS mailing list as well?  Dropping
your question on www.centos.org (a site that has only been public 3
weeks) is going to limit it's exposure.

>CentOS is concentrating on product delivery i.e. there are a group of
>developers that are getting the product and updates out the door in the

Within reason.  CentOS tries to test most major patches before moving
them out to the public mirror network.

>best possible timeframe. The user community is not as active, and the
>website developement not a priority (try and find information on
>CentOS4).

The website is only 3 weeks old.  It had about a month in design and a
month in development.  As Johnny answered your questions regarding
CentOS 4, I'll only add that in the time that the new CentOS website was
under development did CentOS 4 come into existence.  What resources are
available regarding a WBEL 4?

>Whitebox has a very active and loyal user community, and the website is

I don't see how a high volume mailing list with a high noise ratio (in
relation to the core WBEL product) can be construed as an active user
community.  Loyal users, yes.  Active user community, not so.  Based on
some impressions in the past, I think the user community wishes that the
user community had more influence in the feedback accepted by the WBEL team.

>simplistic in nature representing that Whitebox is being driven
>primarily by a single individual. The product delivery is problematicwith updates only available as time permits, and mirrors have a history
>of difficulty.

I think a more fair statement here is that Whitebox is driven by a
single organization needs, with an individual maintainer.

>Are there any known conflicts of interest/ideals between the two
>products? What is the chance of future collaberation?

CentOS is for the community first.  WBEL is for the library first.  I'm
sure you can figure out the conflicts of interest there.

I'm sure that the CentOS team would welcome contributions and/or
feedback from John Morris (or any one at the library for that matter)
for any CentOS related issue.  As previously stated by the WBEL team,
they really aren't interested in user community contributions.  Perhaps
aside from mirrors for distribution and bug reports.

.dn
http://www.centos.org webmaster