[WBEL-users] Product Comparison statements for rebuttal

Lamar Owen lowen@pari.edu
Thu, 6 Jan 2005 13:56:30 -0500

On Wednesday 05 January 2005 22:54, csieh wrote:
> The stray allows for you to create your RHEL release out of Scientific
> Linux.   This allows you to make your own release quite easily.

I'm probably getting ready to do just that for PARI's needs.  I have been
running SL303 for some time on a couple of workstations, and like it.  Needs
IRAF, but that's a different story....

The only headache is lack of i586 support.  I have a dozen headless i586 boxes
that I want to rackmount for video capture/CCTV devices, along with other
uses.  They are Agilent custom boards using AMD's K6-2/300 processor, and
work only with a serial console.  They have PCI and ISA slots, and seem to
work pretty well.  The SL serial console support is great on i686, but it
won't install at all on i586 (K6-2 is i586).  I may be getting more of these
cheap (like $20 each cheap), they have 128MB of SDRAM and 4GB HD's (plus a
flash drive on the mainboard; might make a good cluster boot drive).

For lots of reasons I'd like to standardize on a single dist if possible
(maintaining only one local YUM repo, for instance).

WBEL I think still supports install on i586, but I've not tried the serial
console support in the installer as yet.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology