[WBEL-users] newbie - kernel and other upgrades questions

Pete Stevens pete@ex-parrot.com
Wed, 19 Jan 2005 11:41:25 +0000 (GMT)

Yes, you are.

The latest kernel version is 2.6.10, the latest 2.4 kernel is 2.4.28.

However, WBEL tracks as close as possible RedHat, and consequently has the
same kernel that Redhat currently use, which is 2.4.21-27, this kernel is
basically 2.4.21 (@kernel.org) plus a bunch of ports of features from the 2.6
tree.

The target for RedHat (and consequently Whitebox) is a stable system that only
receives bugfixes.

Your choices are :->

Prepackaged latest and greatest - try Fedora Core 3
Stable system for long term use - try RHEL / WBEL
Stable system modified with some updates - WBEL + compile your own.

In my opinion, you'd be mad to use a kernel other than the one supplied unless
you have a specific requirement for a feature that's missing (e.g. my virtual
WBEL service uses a 2.6 kernel + custom patches because the 2.4 kernel
series doesn't support virtualisation. However you have to play around
with NPTL in order to make it work.)

Yours,

Pete Stevens

--
Pete Stevens
pete@ex-parrot.com

     A 'No' uttered from deepest conviction is better and greater than a 'Yes'
                  merely uttered to please, or what is worse, to avoid trouble.
                                                -- Mahatma Gandhi (1869 - 1948)