[WBEL-users] newbie - kernel and other upgrades questions

Chris Raters craters@toasty.com
Wed, 19 Jan 2005 11:12:23 -0500

Concerning sensors, the modules aren't installed with the base kernel
rpm, so you'll need to download and install the correct kernel-source
rpm for your current kernel first.
Here's the short version of steps you should take starting in the new
source's directory (usually /usr/src/linux-2.4):
(for a more detailed version see
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/custom-guide/s1-custom-kernel-modularized.html)

Issue the commands in this order -
'make mrproper' - then copy an appropriate config from the configs dir
back to the source's root dir and rename it '.config'
'make oldconfig'
'make dep'
'make clean' - then edit the Makefile and remove the custom text after
the kernel version (EXTRAVERSION line). Make it match the version of
your running kernel.
'make bzImage'
'make modules'

This is where you stop following along with the redhat docs, since
you're not going to actually change the default kernel rpm - all we're
doing is adding modules.
After all modules are made successfully, cd to drivers/ - there should
be an i2c and sensors directory.
Make an 'i2c' and 'sensors' directories in your
/lib/modules/<kernel-version>/kernel/drivers directory.
Copy all the .o files in your <kernel-source>/drivers/i2c and /sensors
directories to their counterparts under /lib/modules that you just
created. Chmod them 744 after copying them.
Run 'depmod -a'
Run '/usr/sbin/sensors-detect' and do what it tells you to add the
correct modules to your /etc/modules.conf file.

That should get you started.

Chris

P.S. Of course the drawback to this method is rebuilding the modules for
each new kernel version that comes out, but it's up to you if you want
to change kernels everytime that happens.