[WBEL-users] Squid recompile

John Morris jmorris@beau.org
Thu Jan 20 20:42:43 CST 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-20 at 10:20, Kyle Gasho wrote:
> This will be the first time I've had to work with the .src.rpm. If I
> could get an example I'd really appreciate it.

Ok, first install the .src package with rpm.  (something like rpm -i
squid.[version stuff].src.rpm)  Since you don't have your own .rpmmacros
file or anything you will need to be root.  Doing it as root will
install everything down /usr/src/redhat/*.  You want to look in the
SPECS subdirectory where you will find squid.spec.

Open that in your favorite text editor and scroll down to a line that
has configure on it followed by a boatload of --with[blah] and
--without[blah] lines, each ending with a backslash continuation
character.  Tuck an extra line into that mass of options with the
"--enable-underscores" option (and a backslash like the rest of them)
you found at the squid homesite and save.

Now do "rpmbuild -bb squid.spec" and wait a bit.  If everything goes
right you will get a new squid package in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386.  If
it doesn't go right you probably need to install some -devel packages or
something else that the error message should help you track down.