[WBEL-users] GNOME 2.8 plus other goodies

Joel Barrios Dueñas jbarrios at linuxparatodos.net
Fri Jan 21 15:14:05 CST 2005

Hello:

I have succesfully builded GNOME 2.8 on WBEL 3.0 and been using it at my
office in ALL our desktops for several months. Things *seems* to work
pretty stable for daily use.

I have only *one*mayor*bug* that I have not been able to fix yet. The
following tools break after upgrading to GNOME 2.8:

    * up2date-gnome
    * redhat-config-bind-gui
    * redhat-config-printer-gui
    * redhat-config-httpd
    * redhat-config-netboot
    * redhat-config-network-gui
    * redhat-config-services

Except for those broken tools, I have +20 people using it for daily work
without complains and using applications like Evolution 2.0.3, latest
Gnumeric, latest Inkscape, latest Gimp (2.2.2), OpenOffice.org-1.1.2 and
other stuff.

I need a help testing and debugging, so I'm asking for volunteers to
download packages, install and test them. I'm not a programer, therefore
it has been difficult for me trying to get rid of the broken-RH-tools-bug.

*Just one warning:  if something breaks, you keep the pieces!*

People currently helping me with testing also had helped me mantaining a
few mirrors. Main server is at darkshram.dyndns.org (usually full). To
install the GNOME 2.8 just:

1) Add yum repositories below to your yum.conf
2) Back-up your ~/.gconf directory.
3) *Close* any GNOME session.
   Do not install anything if GNOME 2.2 or GDM are running.
   Do it from text console (init 3)
4) yum install gnome-all

It will install GNOME 2.8 complete with main applications (Gnumeric,
Abiword, Inkscape, Totem, etc.) and other software like Firefox 1.0,
gcursor (plus cursor-themes), gossip, gaim-guifications, etc.

All packages are GPG signed. Signature at
http://darkshram.dyndns.org/lpt/LPT-RPM-KEY

wget http://darkshram.dyndns.org/lpt/LPT-RPM-KEY
su
rpm --import LPT-RPM-KEY

The yum repositories are divided in two parts: the one with GNOME 2.8
related stuff and the one that does not depends on GNOME-2.8/GTK2 (stuff
like mono, mod_mono, xine, mplayer, etc.). You will need both repositories
in order to install GNOME 2.8.

[lpt-gnome-2.8]
name=White Box Enterprise Linux $releasever - $basearch - LPT Desktop 2.2
- GNOME 2.8
baseurl=ftp://darkshram.dyndns.org/pub/whitebox/3.0/i386/gnome/
        ftp://mitcom.com.mx/pub/lpt-desktop/whitebox/3.0/i386/gnome/
ftp://isgleas.myvnc.com/pub/lpt-desktop/whitebox/3.0/i386/gnome/
http://bartoloco.d2g.com/whitebox/3.0/i386/gnome/
gpgcheck=1

[lpt-extra-packages]
name=Enterprise Linux $releasever - $basearch - LPT Desktop 2.2 - Extras
baseurl=ftp://darkshram.dyndns.org/pub/whitebox/3.0/i386/lpt/
        ftp://mitcom.com.mx/pub/lpt-desktop/whitebox/3.0/i386/lpt/
ftp://isgleas.myvnc.com/pub/lpt-desktop/whitebox/3.0/i386/lpt/
http://bartoloco.d2g.com/whitebox/3.0/i386/lpt/
gpgcheck=1

Please submit patches & bug reports (in english or spanish) at
http://www.linuxparatodos.net/geeklog/forum/index.php?forum=8

--
Un cordial saludo.

Joel Barrios Dueñas