[WBEL-users] newbie - kernel and other upgrades questions

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Jan 22 00:58:48 CST 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-22 at 08:42 +0200, Alon wrote:
> I did read throgh QUICKSTART, but there were no sensor modules available
> earlier, so it didn't pertain to my questions.
> Running 'make' produced the same errors (see below)  that I was referring
> to, hence the attempt to install the src.rpm.
>
> I downloaded the src.rpm that matches my current kernel (is it matching? I
> got something a bit different - the smp thingy):
> uname -r
> 2.4.21-27.0.2.ELsmp
>
> I tried to install the src.rpm (see below), but got a warning, and when I
> checked if it was installed, it appears as NOT:
>
> # rpm -i kernel-2.4.21-27.0.2.EL.src.rpm
> warning: kernel-2.4.21-27.0.2.EL.src.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID
> db42a60e
>
> # rpm -q kernel-2.4.21-27.0.2.EL.src.rpm
> package kernel-2.4.21-27.0.2.EL.src.rpm is not installed
>
> I'm open for more guidence.
----
sheesh - I'm checking out for the night after this.

when you install source, it installs in /usr/src/redhat

but STOP - before you mess with any of this...

just type (as root)

sensors-detect
(or if you don't have root environment.../usr/sbin/sensors-detect
)

and see what happens - did you follow those instructions?

I cannot believe that compiling from the source is gonna be any
different that what you have already installed - unless you modify the
source and you can't even find it.

Craig