[WBEL-users] newbie - kernel and other upgrades questions

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Jan 22 01:20:25 CST 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-21 at 23:58 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-01-22 at 08:42 +0200, Alon wrote:
> > I did read throgh QUICKSTART, but there were no sensor modules available
> > earlier, so it didn't pertain to my questions.
> > Running 'make' produced the same errors (see below)  that I was referring
> > to, hence the attempt to install the src.rpm.
> >
> > I downloaded the src.rpm that matches my current kernel (is it matching? I
> > got something a bit different - the smp thingy):
> > uname -r
> > 2.4.21-27.0.2.ELsmp
> >
> > I tried to install the src.rpm (see below), but got a warning, and when I
> > checked if it was installed, it appears as NOT:
> >
> > # rpm -i kernel-2.4.21-27.0.2.EL.src.rpm
> > warning: kernel-2.4.21-27.0.2.EL.src.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID
> > db42a60e
> >
> > # rpm -q kernel-2.4.21-27.0.2.EL.src.rpm
> > package kernel-2.4.21-27.0.2.EL.src.rpm is not installed
> >
> > I'm open for more guidence.
> ----
> sheesh - I'm checking out for the night after this.
>
> when you install source, it installs in /usr/src/redhat
>
> but STOP - before you mess with any of this...
>
> just type (as root)
>
> sensors-detect
> (or if you don't have root environment.../usr/sbin/sensors-detect
> )
>
> and see what happens - did you follow those instructions?
>
> I cannot believe that compiling from the source is gonna be any
> different that what you have already installed - unless you modify the
> source and you can't even find it.
----
heading to bed when I figured it out

that smp thingy as you called it

duh

You installed kernel-unsupported but you are running SMP kernel (that
thingy)

You need to install kernel-smp-unsupported

yum install kernel-smp-unsupported
or
up2date kernel-smp-unsupported

to get lm_sensors for the kernel that you are running (the SMP thingy)

Craig