[WBEL-users] Email troubles connecting to mail from remoteworkstation

decampbell1 decampbell1 at comcast.net
Sun Jan 23 16:29:01 CST 2005

Ok... Let's see if I can explain more clearly...
The  Whitebox es has a public IP address via a comcast.net dhcp server...
and a working mta through dyndns.org...   I have a 4 port switch connected
to my broadband modem...
I have the mailserver sitting on 1 port of the switch, my router with my
desktop and several others are on another port which constitutes a
completely separate network.  I am using nat and 192. addresses on the lan
side of the router.
If I connect a second ethernet card in the whitebox server to the lan side
of my router, I can then connect and authenticate correctly to the email
using either webmail "squirrel mail" or using outlook, netscape mail client,
or phoenix mail clients...
I am not using ssl just plain old pop3... although I have imap configured
for the webmail.
When I try to connect using any of the clients, I get a " Unknown user or
password incorrect "  response.
I have verified with Comcast that they are not blocking any ports And this
setup has worked in the past using Redhat 8.
I replaced my Redhat 8 server with this setup.
As I recall, there is a config file for pop3 and imap that has to tell it to
accept logins from remote network... I may be completely off track though.
Hope this is clearer
Thanks for your quick reply.
Dave