[WBEL-users] Email troubles connecting to mail from remoteworkstation

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Jan 23 17:06:22 CST 2005

On Sun, 2005-01-23 at 17:29 -0500, decampbell1 wrote:
> Ok... Let's see if I can explain more clearly...
> The  Whitebox es has a public IP address via a comcast.net dhcp server...
> and a working mta through dyndns.org...   I have a 4 port switch connected
> to my broadband modem...
> I have the mailserver sitting on 1 port of the switch, my router with my
> desktop and several others are on another port which constitutes a
> completely separate network.  I am using nat and 192. addresses on the lan
> side of the router.
----
sort of clearer
----
> If I connect a second ethernet card in the whitebox server to the lan side
> of my router, I can then connect and authenticate correctly to the email
> using either webmail "squirrel mail" or using outlook, netscape mail client,
> or phoenix mail clients...
> I am not using ssl just plain old pop3... although I have imap configured
> for the webmail.
> When I try to connect using any of the clients, I get a " Unknown user or
> password incorrect "  response.
> I have verified with Comcast that they are not blocking any ports And this
> setup has worked in the past using Redhat 8.
> I replaced my Redhat 8 server with this setup.
> As I recall, there is a config file for pop3 and imap that has to tell it to
> accept logins from remote network... I may be completely off track though.
> Hope this is clearer
----
cat /etc/xinetd.d/ipop3
cat /etc/xinetd.d/imap

disable = no ?
if yes, change to no and 'service restart xinetd

firewall?
iptables -L
does it allow for pop3 (port 110) imap (143)
service iptables stop #momentarily to see if this is the problem
redhat-service-securitylevel #command for simple firewall configuration

remember that if you turn off the firewall momentarily, you have to turn
it back on 'service iptables start'

there is a change you have to make for sendmail to accept mail from
other than 'localhost' which by the nature of your setup, you would have
to set up an authenticated send...probably want to use ssl too.

Craig