[WBEL-users] Here's an Idiot Question about KDE Desktop Sharing

bishop bishop at platypus.bc.ca
Thu Jan 27 12:42:09 CST 2005

Craig White wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-01-27 at 02:42 -0800, bishop wrote:
>
>>Craig White wrote:

>>>----
>>>did you try running krdc from command line? It's possible that it didn't
>>>get installed in menu but is installed on computer
>>>
>>># which krdc
>>>/usr/bin/krdc
>>>You have new mail in /var/spool/mail/root
>>>[root at lin-workstation ~]# krdc &
>>>
>>>et viola
>>
>>Okay, that's a great idea for the hacker crowd.  This thing has to work
>>every time the wife's automatically logged in, so I can see what she's
>>talking about when I'm at work and she's at home asking about some OO thing.
>>
>>No, really, in FC1 it was like a control panel setting.  Myth came up,
>>the vnc server (the one INSIDE kde;  not the xinetd one that spawned a
>>peer session) started too.  It is gorgeous when it goes, and it's gotta
>>be goin' in WB too.
>>
>>Hey, I'm at least emboldened by the fact that the X experts can't find
>>it so easy either...
>
> I'm sorry, I thought that if I gave you the idea that you would figure
> out how to implement it - apparently not.
>
> If 'which krdc' returns a value like it does for me above...and I can
> launch it by 'krdc &' then all you need to do is to create a launcher...
>
> Right click in panel - Create Launcher - Give it a label, put in the
> path and give it an icon. Seems simple enough for wife - perhaps husband
> isn't up to task.
>
> emboldened by X experts that can't find it so easy?  Why would an "X
> expert" spend time on this when the solution seemed so obvious?

Unfortunately, someone deleted all the important part of my mail, where
I confessed I don't use X very much in my workday.  There's something to
be learned about overzealous trimming of email, here, but I can't quite
put my finger on it.  It's terrible, for I also stated in there some
really specific hopes I had in terms of what I was seeking, which would
really have helped save a lot of time here, I think.  I hate to think I
could have wasted so much of your time restating myself.

Unfortunately, due to standard bizarre circumstances and some general
churn resistance on my part, I'm no longer very familiar with X, not
even the very exciting and challenging version of X that I used so long
ago.  Maybe the experience faded in light of the Shiny Technology of the
Year Which We Must All Learn Because It's Cool and Probably Themed Also
(eg pkg-config although it has no themes), and I'm really just a
standard X user, these days, after the mental atrophe.  That's why Just
Making A Launcher causes me some consternation when considering my
overall goals, here, and that's why such people must be experts to me,
and why I was really holding out hope for a nice, tidy solution like I
saw before.  The menu option must have been moved, I suspect, and I need
only find it.  Perhaps RHEL4, which is a mere month or 6 away, will have
it, and I'll be able to find it in an eyeblink then.

I'm sorry for the stress I must have caused you, and I'm sorry for
taking up so much of your time in your effort to solve a problem very
much like mine.  Finally, I regret that I appeared to you as such an
uncooperative student, for that's definitely not what I was intending to
convey, and I assure you that, as much as this experience and the ones
before it will definitely teach me an important lesson, that my burden
on your time will draw to a very negligable amount as quickly as I can
make it so.

Thanks for your obvious effort and your help.

  - bish