[WBEL-users] Here's an Idiot Question about KDE Desktop Sharing

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Jan 27 09:22:34 CST 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-27 at 02:42 -0800, bishop wrote:

> Craig White wrote:

> >>[root at fishy /]# rpm -qf /etc/issue ; rpm -q kdenetwork
> >>whitebox-release-3.0-6_i386
> >>kdenetwork-3.1.3-1.5
> >>
> >>It's in there.  Like I said, it is installed.  The menu looks a bit
> >>different between FC1 and WB, but I'm expecting that, as I - without
> >>looking - suspect that FC1, where I saw the DTop sharing, was a newer
> >>copy than WBEL, which is RHEL, which is based on RH9.

> >>yep yep.  I can taste it.  Thanks for the idea.
> >
> > ----
> > did you try running krdc from command line? It's possible that it didn't
> > get installed in menu but is installed on computer
> >
> > # which krdc
> > /usr/bin/krdc
> > You have new mail in /var/spool/mail/root
> > [root at lin-workstation ~]# krdc &
> >
> > et viola
>
> Okay, that's a great idea for the hacker crowd.  This thing has to work
> every time the wife's automatically logged in, so I can see what she's
> talking about when I'm at work and she's at home asking about some OO thing.
>
> No, really, in FC1 it was like a control panel setting.  Myth came up,
> the vnc server (the one INSIDE kde;  not the xinetd one that spawned a
> peer session) started too.  It is gorgeous when it goes, and it's gotta
> be goin' in WB too.
>
> Hey, I'm at least emboldened by the fact that the X experts can't find
> it so easy either...
----
I'm sorry, I thought that if I gave you the idea that you would figure
out how to implement it - apparently not.

If 'which krdc' returns a value like it does for me above...and I can
launch it by 'krdc &' then all you need to do is to create a launcher...

Right click in panel - Create Launcher - Give it a label, put in the
path and give it an icon. Seems simple enough for wife - perhaps husband
isn't up to task.

emboldened by X experts that can't find it so easy?  Why would an "X
expert" spend time on this when the solution seemed so obvious?

Craig