[WBEL-users] SSL/HTTPD Initializaion Error

Edward D. Morrison emorrison at ncen.org
Sun Jan 30 08:05:54 CST 2005

Hi Everyone,

I generated a new SSL cert for my web server.  When starting httpd it
requests a pass phrase which I type in and I am then told the phrase was
successful but httpd fails to start.  If I put the old cert back in  place
everything works fine.  Problem with the old cert is that it was generated
with generic information i.e. instead of a hostname it lists localhost.
This generates a SSL error popup when connecting to the web page because
the host name doesn't match (but it still encrypts the data).  Anyone have
an idea what might be wrong?  Info listed below:

Starting Error:

Starting httpd: Apache/2.0.46 mod_ssl/2.0.46 (Pass Phrase Dialog)
Some of your private key files are encrypted for security reasons.
In order to read them you have to provide the pass phrases.

Server yubamail.ncen.org:443 (RSA)
Enter pass phrase:

OK: Pass Phrase Dialog successful.
[FAILED]

New cert was generated using:

openssl req -new -x509 -nodes -out /etc/httpd/conf/ssl.crt/server.crt
-days 366 -keyout /etc/httpd/conf/ssl.crt/server.crt

ssl.conf pointer:

SSLCertificateFile /etc/httpd/conf/ssl.crt/server.crt

Thank you,
Ed