[WBEL-users] Missing PCMCIA Ethernet Modules?

muck muck at felitaur.com
Sun Jan 30 21:41:43 CST 2005

Greetings. I've been using Whitebox for a good year now, and have
installed it at my brother's school as their main server, and use it to
teach my community college students the basics of linux administration.

It's a great distro, even though the update feature can be a bit tricky at
times, I've had no real complaints.

Then, in gratitude, my brother gives me an old laptop, a Gateway Solo
1150. I finally figure out how to install Whitebox to it, and it works
great...EXCEPT

I can't get a network card to work on this thing to save my life. And each
time I try another card, I find out the same problem. The kernel module
needed to run the pcmcia ethernet card is not there. There is the source
(.c) file, but no compiled modules.

How do I compile JUST the modules for the existing kernel? I really don't
want a custom kernel, as that makes updates a bit of a pain.

Any advice? Or do you know of a more modern pcmcia ethernet card that I
can purchase that will A) work with this version of whitebox and B)
actually FIT in the slot? (There is a curved lip around the stupid pcmcia
slot, so any card with a wide add on to the end as I've seen on new cards
literally can't plug in without cutting away a significant chunk of the
case).

Thanks, I really like this laptop. For what I need, it's just fine, but I
need to get an ethernet card working somehow.

Copernicus