[WBEL-users] Whitebox 3 or 4 on Dell PowerEdge SC1425

Greg Knaddison greg.knaddison at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 14:35:39 CDT 2005

On 7/14/05, Joe Aldeguer <jaldeguer at safnow.org> wrote:
> Doing a little bit of research on blade servers. I came across Dell's
> PowerEdge SC1425, according to the online information from Dell it
> supports Red  hat Enterprise Linux 3 or v3. My question is, if we
> purchase this server I'm almost positive we can use White box Linux 3 or
> 4 instead. I just need further validation from you all. Thanks!

I haven't done it, but it should work, this is just a rebuild.
Sometimes there is software that requires a particular entry in
/etc/redhat-release in order to work, but hardware doesn't care.

Systems I have purchased from Dell in the past had drivers that they
supplied to work with Linux.  If you needed help with those or with
the box in general, they may get grumpy if they say "what OS?" and you
say "this RHEL rebuild...".  I've had to support customers with
unsupported OS (SCO) on Dell boxes before and it's not a whole lot of
fun.  They make you walk through boot-from-cd diagnostics and such for
hours before they will listen to your problem.

Then again, if it's just one box and it's not super production - who cares?!?

Greg