FW: [WBEL-users] pop3 service

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Jul 21 14:07:39 CDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-07-21 at 13:47 -0400, Ing. Manuel León Moreno wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I also installed cyrus-imap soft of WBEL-4 and had the same problem:
> Outloook
> asked the pop3 users with a password and when they wrote it (their
> normal
> password), the pop3 (I left the pop3s protocol disabled) server said
> (all the times)
> "wrong password".
>
> Because e-mail, in my job has a 200% priority (which means that I had
> no time for making research to solve the situation), I installed the
> Red
> Hat Linux 7.3 version pop3 service instead of the WBEL-4 cyrus-imapd.
> Did some extra work to put it to work and, thanks god, pop3 service
> has been
> working ok since then.
>
> It was, certainly, a defeat but I had no option (the alternative was
> to reinstall an
> older version of Linux and I not wanted to quit WBEL-4).
>
> I join the request of  gvillaran at pandero.com.pe for any clues.
>
> Leon

-----
Lots of configuration is necessary for cyrus-imapd. Dovecot much easier.

The payoff is cyrus is a high performance monster. Dovecot is simple
minded - much more like uw-imapd

Cyrus has a mail list and web site and I strongly suggest that you use
those resources for help. Cyrus uses cyrus-sasl for authentication which
also must be configured.

man cyrus-sasl
man imapd.conf

Craig