[WBEL-users] cp command problem

Jean Lee jean.lee at free.fr
Wed Jun 1 08:33:42 CDT 2005

Hi,

I have a strange problem on WBEL 3 using the command cp.

I am doing some backups of a WBEL 3 machine (filesystem ext 3) on a USB
hard drive with an ext2 filesystem.
The command is :

cp -R -p --parents /usr/USERS/BACKUP/  /mnt/usb0/   2>&1

I have a lot of subfolders in "BACKUP". In the subfolder "BACKUP/GP/", i
have "a.txt", "b.txt", "c.txt". a and b are 300MB and c is 10B. I have
then the following output :

cp :  writing ./b.txt : No space left on device
cp : writing /mnt/usb0/usr/USERS/BACKUP/GP/c.txt : No space left on device

However : there is always place on the external hard drive.

Moreover this problems seems to happen only in the directories where I
have big files. The subfolder "BACKUP/PM/" which is copied after
"BACKUP/GP/" (because it is placed after in alphabetic order) is well
copied.

My question is :

Does the ext2 filsystem has a limitation for the total file sizes in one
folder ?
Does it come from my command ? (I don't think because when I tried to do
the same manually in a shell, I have the same problem if I copy a then b
then c...)
Is it something else ?

Thank you for your help...

Jean LEE