[WBEL-users] Upgrading from WBEL3 to WBEL4...some questions... {Scanned} {Scanned}

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Wed Jun 1 13:26:30 CDT 2005

Sanjay Arora wrote:

>On 6/1/05, Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com> wrote:
>

>>This has a little to get you started;
>>http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/linux-adv/lvm.htm  and
>>http://www.pma.caltech.edu/~laurence/Linux/lvm.html
>>

>Just what I needed...Thanks.
>

>>I would think about LVM on raid, as a disk failure is a disk failure,
>>even on LVM.
>>

>What would happen with a disk failure? How does one know what data
>he's lost. Just occured to me lvm is logical and I would not know e.g.
>/home is on /hdb2....or would I?

If you had a logical that spread across 2 physical drives, it would be
trashed, just as any logicals on the physical drive that died.
But with some work you "might" be able to recover the part of the
logical that was on the remaining good drive(s).
That would depend on if you made the logicals use "contiguous
allocation". I think LVM2  is somewhat better at this, but I haven't
used it yet.

>Or is there a method to how lvm spreads data / directories / trees? or
>may be can be configured so!?
>
>Well, just means, more frequent automated backups....long live rsync ;-))
>
>Meanwhile, thanks again for the links...will get cracking.
>
>With best regards.
>Sanjay.

>dangerous content by the San Gabriel Valley Water Co.
>MailScanner, and is believed to be clean.

Moved back on list

--
| A beer doesn't get  >--|===`-----'I `---' I |  |:
| upset if you come  /  _ \         I       I |  |:'
| home with another /  (   `-,----============:__;:
:/

dangerous content by the San Gabriel Valley Water Co.