[WBEL-users] monitoring strange behavior help

Benjamin Smith lists at benjamindsmith.com
Fri Mar 4 13:17:30 CST 2005

On Friday 04 March 2005 05:48, Erick Perez wrote:
> searching the logs reveal nothing strange (at least for me, but im no
genious)

Sounds like a hardware issue - stuff like this is almost *NEVER* software.

As a first step: Check to make sure all your fans (esp. CPU) are good and spin
at full speed when powered up, then unplug and reconnect all cables and
chips.  (CPU, RAM, etc) Often it can be a flaky cable or socket... Also, plug
the server into a UPS to eliminate flaky power, see if that improves things.
A cheapie 45-minute, $75 one is worlds better than none at all.

> Do you know of some script or program that can alert me when unusual
> conditions begin to happen in the server? like cpu increase? ram
> increase? swap?
> some process eating up resources?

The grand-daddy of them all? Big Brother. It's one of my best friends! It
polls all my servers every 5 minutes and sends alerts to my cell phone when
anything goes wrong... even when a needed process dies! http://www.bb4.org

IMHO, You aren't serious about your stuff unless you are using a tool like
this! Serious peace of mind, and customers love it when you catch something
and call before they even notice it's not working...

> most importat is any way to set up some system wide "nice" level so
> the apps do not eat up the CPU/RAM, so when the condition happens
> again, I will at least have the chance to get in and take a look?

See above re: hardware. If you think it'd help, I'd suggest writing a quick
script to write the output of top repeatedly to a file. EG:

#! /bin/sh
while [ true ] ; do
 top -n1 > /path/to/log/file.txt
 sleep 5; # minimize performance beatings
  # set to whatever you like in seconds.
 done;

> Many thanks in advance
> --