[WBEL-users] Disk check at boot

Graham Waring liverbird89 at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 10 05:20:37 CST 2005

G'day Mark,

You are likely to get many replies to this one and they will all state the
same facts (sorry if I am repeating someone else with my response).  Yes,
with the ext3 file system when a box boots back up after a power interrupt
you are given the option to run a file system check on each file system or
not.  If you ponder for more than 5 seconds, it goes right ahead and
attempts to boot up as normal and on the fly attempts to recover the journal
for each of the file systems it mounts as per the fstab.  I myself did the
happy dance when redhat included the ext3 file system in their distros.  I
don't miss at all that uneasy feeling as you watched a sloooow fsck of the
very file system that had everyones mail or web sites on...with the boss
standing behind you looking at his watch saying "should it be taking this
long?".
Hope this helps :)

Graham