[WBEL-users] Re: VMWare

Tony Tony at instaview.com
Thu Mar 10 11:03:02 CST 2005

We use it in production here where i work, the server product... and i
will chime in as well about
the fact you need LOTS of ram. Ours are quad CPU machines with 4GB ram.

I have noticed here, that running virtual servers are ok if they are
*servers*, but once you use
them for something else, like development or applications, then the
performance goes to pot..

As a disclaimer, we only use windows clients, on a ESX server.. But im
sure the same thing would happen
with other clients as well.

On my desktop, I use GSX to support multiple OS's, but since im only
doing one thing at at time, i dont notice
the same issues my web developer has..

Just as a side note, at home ive had pretty good luck running QEMU on a
unix ( BSD )  host.. its much
cheaper than VMware ( as in free. )  Client install times suck bad, but
once installed they seem to be
acceptable.. Have not put them under heavy load for stability testing,
yet..