[WBEL-users] Disc cloning

Andrew Vong andrewvong at finpress.com
Fri Mar 11 13:39:09 CST 2005

Hi Benedikt,

If you don't mind forking out abt. USD 50 for this software called Acronis
TrueImage, then it could be an option to look at. You can get it here -->
http://www.acronis.com

I had 2 identical servers with the following specs:-

P4 - 3.0 GHz
1 GB RAM
IDE RAID 1
2x 160 GB HDDs

I had to install and configure them. The only difference between the
servers were IP addresses, hostnames, etc... Basically, I had to set it up
for the developers to work on.

So, to save time, what I did was setup & configure server 1 and test it to
make sure that all was running smoothly and that all required updates were
made and security holes covered, etc... Once it was "ready", I rebooted the
server and placed the Acronis TrueImage Boot CD into the CD ROM drive and
plugged in my USB 2.0 portable 80 GB HDD to Server 1.

The Acronis Boot CD booted up, recognised my USB HDD. I made a backup of
the entire contents of the setup (on RAID 1). Then, I booted up Server 2 by
sticking the Boot CD into the CD ROM Drive and connecting my USB 2.0 HDD.
The Boot CD booted up and I proceeded to "restore" the contents of Server
1's HDD (RAIID 1) contents onto Server 2. All went well. A reboot and I've
got an exact clone of Server's setup & configuration. All I needed to
change were the necessary network identification related configurations and
I had 2 servers setup & configured in a fairly easy way.

It isn't entirely the same situation as yours but a second attached IDE HDD
would work too.

Hope it helped.

Regards,
Andrew