[WBEL-users] VMWare

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Tue Mar 15 10:24:16 CST 2005

Daniel J. Summers wrote:
> Scott Silva wrote:

>>> Thanks to everyone for their advice and tips.  I'm sitting at about 1.7G
>>> free right now, so any sort of  experimentation that requires a full
>>> install of Windows would require me removing my Windows partition (10GB)
>>> and reinstalling Linux.  I'll probably end up waiting until I can
>>> acquire a bigger hard drive.  :)
>>>
>>> Thanks again!
>>>

>> You could run VMWare and use that 10 gig windows partition, you wouldn't
>> need to do much to make it work.
>>
> Would I be able to boot that partition without reformatting/reinstalling
> Windows?  I've heard of folks having boot problems if they didn't do XP
> first.  My hobbyist time is limited right now (new child & deploying
> project), so I don't want to mess anything up that might take a long
> time to put back.  ;)

You could install VMWare in linux, and use the raw windows partition.
You would have to boot the XP cd IN VMWare, and run a repair install to
fix the hardware differences. It is some work, and if the XP is fairly
fresh, without a lot of stuff loaded, a new install would be better.

You would not be able to dual boot and use the windows partition in
vmware, as XP would throw massive fits as the hardware changed.

--
"If you have ever eaten crow,
It don't taste like chicken!!"