[Fwd: Re: [WBEL-users] Respin 2 update install lost my flash drives]

Mark Jarvis mark.jarvis at pvmail.maricopa.edu
Sat Mar 19 19:48:46 CST 2005

Daniel J. Summers wrote:
> Mark Jarvis wrote:
>

>> First let me say that I'm well aware that save/clean_install/restore
>> is the best way to go. But, anyway, I did an upgrade install of respin
>> 2, followed by "yum update" which picked up a couple of things that
>> I'd forgotten had been included in the previous (clean) respin 1 install.
>

> Not that it's any of my business, but why didn't you just "yum upgrade"
> to take your box from R1 to R2?
I had previously tried three times to do a "yum upgrade", but it hung
repeatedly each time. I finally just gave it up & decided to wait for
respin 2 or WBEL 4, whichever came first.
> I'm running the R2 kernel now, but I
> didn't have to reinstall anything.  (In fact, I usually run "yum
> upgrade" (with no package name) every other week or so, as there are
> always new/fixed packages popping up.  Occasionally it can't find
> anything new, but it's rare.
If I'd been doing this right along, the "yum update" wouldn't have been
such a major effort & probably wouldn't have had the problem. I HAVE
SEEN THE ERROR OF MY WAYS!

>> Booted up. Can't mount flash drives. Phooey! Loaded usbview--BTW, it's
>> a NEAT tool. Got the following error message:
>>
>> "Can not open the file /proc/bus/usb/devices
>>
>> Verify that you have USB compiled into your kernel,
>> have the USB core modules loaded, and have the
>> usbdevfs filesystem mounted."
>

> Did you verify these things?  :)
Nope. All those things were working before without my having to do
anything, other than create mount points and /etc/fstab entries. Now USB
is apparently dead in both the new AND the old kernel. So what turned it
off?  Is there a config file entry I'm not aware of?
> I've never had this experience with
> USB flash drives (have one, but haven't tried to get it going under WBEL
> yet), but I know with other kernel modules, I had to accomplish the same
> tasks I did when I installed, to get the module compiled and linked for
> *that* particular kernel.
>
> I'll be looking for the solution here - I may try soon to get mine
> going.  :)

You shouldn't have to DO anything, although the /etc/fstab entries are a
little tricky--USB is faked in on top of the SCSI stuff. Here are my
fstab entries. (I have a SCSI disk drive, so it's sda1.)

/dev/sdb1     /mnt/usb_hd_1    auto    noauto,rw,umask=0,users   0 0
/dev/sdc1     /mnt/usb_hd_2    auto    noauto,rw,umask=0,users   0 0
/dev/sdd1     /mnt/usb_hd_3    auto    noauto,rw,umask=0,users   0 0

FWIW, just about all of the  "live CD" distros I've seen find & mount
USB flash drives automagically, as does XP.

Once again, my point is this: Flash drive support was working, then the
upgrade killed it. Howcum?!?!

-mj-