[WBEL-users] wbel 4

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Mar 19 19:29:02 CST 2005

On Sat, 2005-03-19 at 19:52 -0500, Dean F Owensby wrote:
> ok. so sue me. i havent been paying a lot of attention here lately, but is john planning to continue a legacy maintenance on wbel3, with no immediate plans for 4? i downloaded rhel4 free eval iso, and right away met with issues i associated with fedora core 3 devel stuff. open links, deps, and deprecated/missing libs etc. centos4 is just as bad. this is mostly with 3rd party stuff, but all worked happily under 3 (media, apps, etc). unless i've been living in a cave, this is not an exception.
> i'm slanted towards wbel3. just wonderin'.
----
I use whiteboxlinux 3 on my home server
I use fedora 3 on my desktop computer
I've used CentOS 4 on a new client's server (they have had RHEL 4 clone
for a while now...I downloaded it on March 1st)

They all work fine - no problems of any consequence whatsoever.

I don't know what you are having a problem with but if you have any
intentions of 'upgrading' an installation, you are likely to have some
issues to deal with and Red Hat says that an 'upgrade' install of RHEL 3
or RHEL 4 from an earlier version of anything is unsupported.

My whiteboxlinux server was an upgrade over 8.0
My fedora desktop (FC-3) was an upgrade over FC-1

Of course, I am pretty confident that I can work through the issues
caused by upgrades.

Craig