[WBEL-users] ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe nForce2 networking

Bob Ramstad rramstad at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 12:56:25 CST 2005

Hi there.  Relatively long time user of WBEL3 here.

I'm in the process of upgrading the hardware on a number of servers
here and since we're going from Intel on the old servers to AMD on the
new servers I decided to install from scratch using respin2.

Interestingly with respin2 the installer detects SATA drives just
fine, but the bizarre thing is that it doesn't detect any networking
components whatsoever.  It just skips the networking questions
completely.

Once the system is up and running, I'm at a loss.  Of course I can log
in at the console, but there's no network access.  I've tried running
redhat-network-config (the low tech text as graphics version) but
after answering the questions nothing seems to happen.  eth0 doesn't
even show up when doing an ifconfig.

The board has two Ethernet ports, one is a Marvell Gigabit port and
the other is an nVidia port.  I don't care which one works, I don't
need both of them working, but I was a bit surprised to see that
drivers for neither one made it into respin2.

So, could someone out there please save me hours of dinking around
doing my own research?  I'm sure someone has been through this exact
scenario, and any / all help would be very very much appreciated.

Left to my own devices, I'd probably download an RPM for a newer RHEL3
kernel as my understanding is that the latest and greatest isn't on
respin2... and maybe download kernel-unsupported... and try installing
both of those manually and seeing what happens.  Just a guess.

I'm in digest mode, so if you could please CC me directly as well as
the list, that would really be swell.  Thanks again.

-- Bob