[WBEL-users] Re: upgrade and atrpms

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue May 17 14:57:28 CDT 2005

On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 02:16:02PM -0500, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 May 2005 01:08 pm, Jose Moreira wrote:
> > Hello, i have WBL4 and just now added the ATrpms apt source do
> > sources.list. after an apt-get update && apt-get update, apt wants to
> > (but i havent done it) perform the following upgrades:

> I dont like atrpms  because they dont care if they replace core system
> packages.

Of course "they" care. You sometimes don't have a choice.

> the only machine i use any atrpms packages is my mythtv box and then
> im very careful about how i do updates and installs.

You forget the times when RH's perl-DateManip was broken and mythtv
would not work w/o an updated one, right?

> the choice is yours and things may be fine but if it breaks stuff
> its hard to say whos at fault the call is yours and your alone to
> make on what level of risk you are comfortable with

Wrt RHEL3/4 ATrpms' support is not yet official and is in final
testing stage. So while replacing "core" packages is truely no sin, I
would still be careful.

When ATrpms' support for RHEL is considered prime time there will be
an announce here. Until then bug reports are gladly accepted at
bugzilla.atrpms.net and the mailing lists :)
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net