[WBEL-users] Upgrading from WBEL3 to WBEL4...some questions...

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Tue May 31 14:34:18 CDT 2005

Sanjay Arora wrote:
> On 5/31/05, Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com> wrote:
>
>>Do you have enough extra space to move one drive at a time?
>>Then you could do the upgrade, add any extra space you can to LVM,
>>and move one drive at a time to LVM by creating containers for each
>>mount point you want to move.
>>Then you can reclaim that now empty drive to LVM, and move the next
>>drive. After you are finished, you can resize each mount point to its
>>final size you want.
>>It will take quite a few reboots, but most of the time will be spent in
>>copying the data from partitions to their new LVM containers.
>

> Yes..I do have the space to do that one by one & that was exactly the
> question I was asking.
>
> Problem is that I have never used LVM before and the new systems where
> I have installed WBEL4 have installed LVM automatically when
> autopartition is used.
>
> Can you/someone please give me pointers to some materials/web
> resources which show step by step way of doing it. LVM howto takes a
> bit time digesting and testing...wanted something that straight digs
> into doing it command by command...testing it out on a spare system
> and start on the machine I need ON....and then sink my teeth into the
> howto to learn the insides.
>
> With best regards.
> Sanjay.
This has a little to get you started;
http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/linux-adv/lvm.htm  and
http://www.pma.caltech.edu/~laurence/Linux/lvm.html
 which is LVM on raid, but much is useable for straight LVM. But it
isn't that hard. I migrated an active server to LVM on raid and larger
drives in a weekend. Most of that was rsync'ing the data from physical
partitions to lvm partitions.
If you go with one mount point at a time, it seems easier. But I guess
you could do a few at a time if careful.

I would think about LVM on raid, as a disk failure is a disk failure,
even on LVM.

--
| A beer doesn't get  >--|===`-----'I `---' I |  |:
| upset if you come  /  _ \         I       I |  |:'
| home with another /  (   `-,----============:__;:
:/