[WBEL-users] Upgrading from WBEL3 to WBEL4...some questions...

Sanjay Arora sanjay.k.arora at gmail.com
Tue May 31 13:27:34 CDT 2005

On 5/31/05, Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com> wrote:

> Do you have enough extra space to move one drive at a time?
> Then you could do the upgrade, add any extra space you can to LVM,
> and move one drive at a time to LVM by creating containers for each
> mount point you want to move.
> Then you can reclaim that now empty drive to LVM, and move the next
> drive. After you are finished, you can resize each mount point to its
> final size you want.
> It will take quite a few reboots, but most of the time will be spent in
> copying the data from partitions to their new LVM containers.

Yes..I do have the space to do that one by one & that was exactly the
question I was asking.

Problem is that I have never used LVM before and the new systems where
I have installed WBEL4 have installed LVM automatically when
autopartition is used.

Can you/someone please give me pointers to some materials/web
resources which show step by step way of doing it. LVM howto takes a
bit time digesting and testing...wanted something that straight digs
into doing it command by command...testing it out on a spare system
and start on the machine I need ON....and then sink my teeth into the
howto to learn the insides.

With best regards.
Sanjay.