[WBEL-users] Screwed by a CentOS4 install test

Jack Glendening whitebox_glendeni at drjack.info
Tue Apr 18 18:29:28 CDT 2006

I think I finally got the correct return address on this one - I
apologize if any duplicates turn up on the list.

On Monday April 17 2006 12:36, John Morris wrote:
> First step is finding out how much is hosed on hda1.  Get into rescue
> mode and do rpm -V on the kernel package and grub.  If those are OK
> you can proceed to reinstall it's version of grub back into the MBR
> with grub-install.

I had sent a followup email to someone who sent a private email telling
me about using Shift-PageUp to read load messages which had scrolled
off the screen, which proved useful.  But I should also have posted a
follow up to this list.   Sorry.

Trying to use grub command line prompts based on others' advice was not
working, so I  recovered boot control to my "normal" hda1 (with label
/boot) by using my  original WBEL 3 disks to install it to an unused
partition while writing the  boot loader to hda1 (without reformatting
it).

I then replaced the grub.conf that produced  on hda1 with my old
grub.conf and booting then gave me my WBEL3 kernel load with the
googled on the "duplicate filesystem" error message there, finding it
likely  resulting from two partitions having the same name.  And indeed
I found  two partitions labeled "/", though don't know how that
happened.  Renaming the non-WB one got things working again.
So I am mailing this from my normal machine, not my laptop. :-)

                                                Jack
--
 Dr. John W. (Jack) Glendening   Meteorologist
 ___ Empowering soaring pilots since 1999 ___