[WBEL-users] Re: YUM Questions

Jerry Amundson jerry at pbs.com
Wed Feb 15 23:30:41 CST 2006

On Wed February 15 2006 22:09, WGPuckett at aol.com wrote:
> Now I am trying to get a group list.  I am running the command "yum
> grouplist".  It executes for some time.  The I get the following
> messages:
>
> What is keeping the grouplist from working properly?

I'm not certain, but I've seen this too. I assumed it is related to the
yum version. I didn't think much of it, and was able to work out what I
needed with the "-g" param of rpm...

> Now a more generic question about yum and rpm's in general.  I wanted
>  to install the latest version of yum (I have v2.2).  I couldn't
> figure out  how to tell yum to install a newer version of software.
> It just appears to  install the latest release at the same version
> level.  So I downloaded yum  v2.4 and tried to install using rpm.  A
> prereq
[and so on, and so on...]
> care of it all.  Is there an easy answer to this?

Yes, several answers. A couple to start with...
1. Why not use the more current WBEL 4?
2. Don't pine over the latest and greatest - that's not what Enterprise
distributions are about. If you truly have a need for yum-2.4, try
Fedora, SuSE, etc.

jerry