[WBEL-users] YUM Questions

WGPuckett at aol.com WGPuckett at aol.com
Wed Feb 15 22:09:57 CST 2006

I finally got WBEL3 installed on two machines.  And I was able to use  the
"YUM UPDATE" command to bring all the installed RPMs up to date. Now I  want to
start installing a few additional packages, such as SWAT.

I started having some problems early on with failovers and seem to have  that
mostly resolved after locating some forums where they suggested some  updates
to the YUM config file.

Now I am trying to get a group list.  I am running the command "yum
grouplist".  It executes for some time.  The I get the following  messages:

Gathering header information files(s) from server(s)
Server: White Box Enterprise Linux 3.0 - i386 - Base
Server: White Box Enterprise Linux 3.0 - i386 - Released Updates
Finding updated packages
Downloading needed headers
Getting groups from servers
No groups provided or accessabel on any server
Exiting

What is keeping the grouplist from working properly?

Now a more generic question about yum and rpm's in general.  I wanted  to
install the latest version of yum (I have v2.2).  I couldn't figure out  how to
tell yum to install a newer version of software.  It just appears to  install
the latest release at the same version level.  So I downloaded yum  v2.4 and
tried to install using rpm.  A prereq for yum v2.4 is python  v2.3.  So I
downloaded the rpm for python v2.3 and attempted to install it  using rpm.  It won't
install because there is a ton of other software that  requires python to be
at the current version (v2.2).  How do you manage  these upgrades?  I want to
tell YUM/RPM to bring some of my software up to  more current versions yet it
means a vast set of updates to other  software.  That's ok with me but I can't
see a way to tell yum just to take  care of it all.  Is there an easy answer
to this?

I have been searching the message boards but so far haven't been able to
find an answer.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Glenn Puckett
Lexington, KY