[WBEL-users] WBEL4 reliability?

Jeff O'Brien jobrien at ntisys.com
Thu Jan 26 10:41:57 CST 2006

Sean Dogar wrote:

> Vic wrote:
>
>> Hi All.
>>
>> I've been using WBEL3 for some time now - and very good it is too :-)
>>
>> I've recently built a couple of WBEL4 boxen, but these don't seem to be
>> quite as reliable - e.g. BIND fails every 6 weeks or so[1].
>>
>> Does anyone else see this sort of thing, or am I just unlucky?
>>
>> Vic.
>>

> Yeah, I've noticed a general wonkiness of RHAS 4 and derivative
> distros ( both CentOS and WBEL).
> At home, I have a CentOS 4.2 machine on x86_64.  After a while of
> running, I always seem to have a problem with X no longer accepting
> connections...it's like $DISPLAY gets whacked but I can't make it
> right which an environment variable change or an xhost command or
> anything.
> At work, I have RHES 4 on a IBM HS20 blade and periodically it is
> sloooooowwwww, even with 4GB of RAM.  I'm running Apache for internal
> use and a few other small things, and that's it.  At first I thought
> it was hardware failure but I've run full diags on the machine and so
> has my other admin, and it comes up fine.  But lately it's needed a
> reboot every now and again to stay sane.....not something I'm keen on
> as a Linux admin.
>
> I installed WBEL4 on a friend's machines and after I fixed the little
> things (like the bad repos in yum, etc.), he still has a similar
> problem to mine with X....something whacky happens and he'll no longer
> be able to initiate new programs that use X, although the ones he has
> open work fine.  Again, resetting $DISPLAY doesn't seem to fix the
> problem.
>
> I haven't been able to figure out a pattern to the X failures.
> Intially I thought it might have been related to me firing up a vnc
> server every now and again, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
> For my ~250+ machines at work, I'm sticking with WBEL3 for the meantime.
> -Sean

Vic your not the only one....

Me too, at my various wbel4 site installs and home use Ive noticed even
on brand new fast server hardware things being slow.  Particually at the
start point of Redhat Nash starting 4.18.x  (whatever version it is)....
It will take a while.  And Ive notice a lot of X apps almost starting
then crashing.  As much as I like having X startup at boot Ive disabled
it for most and just manually startx upon login when I need a gui, load
times are a little quicker and it doesnt hang when loading the panels.

--
Jeff O'Brien
Network Technician/ Manufacturing
jobrien at ntilinux.com