[WBEL-users] New to Whitebox. Kernel Upgrade?

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Thu Jul 13 10:52:30 CDT 2006

At Thu, 13 Jul 2006 17:29:04 +0200 Hermann Thomas <h.thomas at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi Robert,
> the reason is That I got this Promis FastTrak 4310 Sata Raid Controler.
> The Driver you get at Promise
>
> is written for that Kernel. All though I haven't tried with a newer
> Kernel jet. It doesn’t work with the
> one coming out of the Whitebox install though. First I will try with the
> one I can get at centos.

Does the driver come in source form?  If so, you'll need to compile it,
if you don't have the *exact* same kernel Promise built the driver
against. Be sure to get and install the kernel development package
along with the kernel itself. If it is closed source, you are basically
screwed -- you'll be stuck with whatever distro and kernel version
Promise used.  It might in fact be cheaper and easier to toss the
Promise FastTrak 4310 Sata Raid Controler and get something supported.

If the controller worked with the Suse distro you are used to, you
*might* be able to install the Suse kernel RPM on your WBL 4.x system.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Linux Installation and Administration