[WBEL-users] version specific software and yum

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Mon Jul 17 07:58:12 CDT 2006

At Mon, 17 Jul 2006 12:41:07 +1000 Kyle <kl at attitia.com> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I would be truly grateful if someone could advise me as to how I can
> install the specific version of certain software (in this case httpd),
> and yet still have it listed in yum  as being the installed version.
>
> To be more clear. I want to install apache 2.0.54 (or 55) on my new
> WBEL4.1 box and have that listed as the installed version in my yum
> repository. So that when I do a yum in future, yum sees that I have a
> newer version than any updates which might come along and leaves httpd
> alone until such point in time as the updates-released in the yum
> repositories have reached a version greater than my installed version.

Yum only compares update versions against installed RPM versions -- yum
is only a 'front end' for RPM.  What you want is to get/make an apache
httpd 2.0.54 RPM and install it with RPM (not yum). You would need to
install a 'bleeding edge' RPM from Fedora Core 5 or Fedora Core
Development.  Or you might need to get a .src.rpm and re-build it (rpmbuild
--rebuild httpd-2.0.54.src.rpm). Or you'll need to create a spec file
and create an RPM from scratch (somewhat non-trivial).

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Linux Installation and Administration