[WBEL-users] version specific software and yum

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Mon Jul 17 08:19:51 CDT 2006

At Mon, 17 Jul 2006 08:58:12 -0400 Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:

> At Mon, 17 Jul 2006 12:41:07 +1000 Kyle <kl at attitia.com> wrote:
>

> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I would be truly grateful if someone could advise me as to how I can
> > install the specific version of certain software (in this case httpd),
> > and yet still have it listed in yum  as being the installed version.
> >
> > To be more clear. I want to install apache 2.0.54 (or 55) on my new
> > WBEL4.1 box and have that listed as the installed version in my yum
> > repository. So that when I do a yum in future, yum sees that I have a
> > newer version than any updates which might come along and leaves httpd
> > alone until such point in time as the updates-released in the yum
> > repositories have reached a version greater than my installed version.
>
> Yum only compares update versions against installed RPM versions -- yum
> is only a 'front end' for RPM.  What you want is to get/make an apache
> httpd 2.0.54 RPM and install it with RPM (not yum). You would need to
> install a 'bleeding edge' RPM from Fedora Core 5 or Fedora Core
> Development.  Or you might need to get a .src.rpm and re-build it (rpmbuild
> --rebuild httpd-2.0.54.src.rpm). Or you'll need to create a spec file
> and create an RPM from scratch (somewhat non-trivial).

Just checked on rpmfind.net:

Apache HTTP Server Fedora Core 4 Updates Sources ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/fedora/core/updates/4/SRPMS/httpd-2.0.54-10.3.src.rpm
Apache HTTP Server Fedora Core 4 Updates for i386 ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/fedora/core/updates/4/i386/httpd-2.0.54-10.3.i386.rpm

I'd *guess* the FC4 httpd-2.0.54 RPM should install cleanly under RHel
4 or WBL 4 (FC4 RPMs generally install cleanly under CentOS 4.3).  Once
you download and install this (manually), yum won't bother you with
httpd updates until a version > 2.0.54 shows up in the updates for WBL
4. You can use yum to install this as a 'local install' or use RPM
directly.  (Yum will deal with dependencies automagically, but only if
the dependencies can be satisfied from your existing repositories, if
they can't yum will barf at you.)

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Linux Installation and Administration