[WBEL-users] version specific software and yum

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Tue Jul 18 07:32:14 CDT 2006

At Tue, 18 Jul 2006 12:12:06 +1000 Kyle <kl at attitia.com> wrote:

> Robert Heller wrote:
> > At Tue, 18 Jul 2006 09:28:39 +1000 Kyle <kl at attitia.com> wrote:
> >

> > You probably don't need to do all of this -- there are FC4 .i386 rpms
> > for httpd 2.0.54, which *should* just install as is (but might have some
> > dependencies).
> >

> Thanks the replies Robert.
>
> It's just those little asterisks you have around the word *should* which
> concern me about using the FC4.386 rpm's. So you would feel confident
> installing an FC4 rpm on your WBEL/RHEL 4.1 host?

I have installed several FC3 and FC4 RPMs on a CentOS 4.3 system with
no problems.   FC3/FC4 and RHel 4 are 'close enough' to be generally
compatible -- most of the common things are the same or close to the same
in terms of version numbers.  Do a 'rpm -hiv --test
httpd-2.0.54<mumble>.i386.rpm' -- if it does not complain about
dependencies, you should be good to go.  I've not installed the FC4
httpd rpm, since I've not needed that specific version.

Otherwise, you'll need to rebuild the src rpm, which should not be too
hard.  Building Apache's httpd is kind of a bear -- it is big thing with
lots of support libraries and a whole slew of dependencies.  It is more
of a problem if you were to do something like try to build it on a RH7.3
system for example.

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Linux Installation and Administration
http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Web Hosting, with CGI and Database
heller at deepsoft.com       -- Contract Programming: C/C++, Tcl/Tk