[WBEL-users] yum and rpm renaming

Kyle kl at attitia.com
Wed Jul 19 02:22:59 CDT 2006

Hello again folks,

for my next question.

Is there any problem with simply "renaming" an rpm file to the same name
as an already installed package in order to upgrade that package.

E.g.: I wish to upgrade mysql to a later version than is in the
repositories. I've d'loaded the appropriate rpm's from mysql.com
supposedly built specifically for RHEL4. But of course, they have a
different naming convention to the versions installed by WBEL4 and in
the repositories. So if I want to install the new one, it supposedly
"conflicts" with the CD-installed version.

Can I simply rename the mysql package files to the same naming
convention as the WBEL-installed packages and successfully run an
upgrade that way? Or am I way off base?

Thanks again in advance.