[WBEL-users] yum and rpm renaming

Vic whitebox at beer.org.uk
Wed Jul 19 04:38:17 CDT 2006

> Is there any problem with simply "renaming" an rpm file to the same name
> as an already installed package in order to upgrade that package.

Only that it won't work...

> Can I simply rename the mysql package files to the same naming
> convention as the WBEL-installed packages and successfully run an
> upgrade that way? Or am I way off base?

The filename of the RPM makes no difference whatsoever; all the metadata
(including package names) is within the RPM.

If you want to run non-RH RPMs, it's easiest just to install the packages
you need & fix up as necessary. For example, I have a WBEL3 installation
that needs to run MySQL > 4. I installed the RPMs from mysql.org &
hand-built php to cope. It took a bit of figuring out what was necessary,
but the job was easy enough once I'd done that...

Vc.