[WBEL-users] Java

Eric B. ebenze at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 23 09:28:29 CST 2006

>> Have you tried just checking the Sun site?  Are you looking just for the
>> JVM
>> or the JRE?
>> http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp
>> Click on the download link, and you'll find the Sun J2SE download kit
>> available in an rpm.bin format.  Basically, you download the rpm.bin
>> file,
>> and execute it.  It will extract the rpm.  Then you can just rpm -i the
>> extracted java.rpm file.
>
> And you lose as soon as you do that.  RH assumes you are using JPackage,
> including for the JDK.  Go to Jpackage.org and follow their directions
> on using their nosrc.rpm and the tarball version of the Sun JDK to
> create a proper installable rpm.  Otherwise none of the RH derived Java
> tools will work right.  Commercial vendors never seem to be able to
> create a working rpm.  Sun can't, Nvidia & ATI can't, etc.
>
> Yes it is a pain in the rear but it is Sun's ball and you play with it
> their way or they don't let you use it at all.  It would be a lot easier
> if they allowed jpackage.org to make a ready to run rpm available, then
> you would just add jpackage.org to your yum/up2date configuration and
> bam!, instant Java support.

Strange... I've d/l'ed the JRE pkgs from Sun multiple times in the past and
use it with Tomcat without any problems what-so-ever.  Am not sure what
packages from RH assume you are using JPackage, so it might just be a
question of dependencies when you try to install it.  I've never had to, so
at that point, I guess you would be either forced to install with --force,
or just give up and install the JPackage JRE, I guess.

Eric