[WBEL-users] 64-bit lib adventure

Jerry Amundson jerry at pbs.com
Wed May 31 00:34:51 CDT 2006

Robert Heller writes:
>   Jerry Amundson <jerry at pbs.com>,
>   In a message on Tue, 30 May 2006 16:30:27 -0500, wrote :
> JA> #Added line for the Box to stay x86_64 clean
> JA> exclude=*.i386 *.i686 *.i586
> JA>
> JA> Also removed the audit-libs, cracklib, and pam "i386" packages from
> JA> my /var/ftp/pub repo, and running...
> JA> createrepo -x "*.i386.rpm" -g WhiteBox/base/comps.xml .
> JA>
>
> You don't really want to do this!

Well, yes, I did want to, and so I did... I actually found I only need the
"exclude=" line in yum.conf, and not the -x param of createrepo.

> You might need to tweek yum (or whatever) to make sure it updates both
> the 32-bit and 64-bit shared libraries.  You don't need to install any
> 32-bit *programs* iff there is a 64-bit version and generally you don't
> even think about 32-bit -devel packages.  There might be times when you
> will want some silly little utility that has not been ported to 64-bit
> (and might not be worth going through the hassle to make sure it is
> totally 100% 64-bit clean).  You'll need the 32-bit shared libraries for
> such programs.

Not if such programs aren't installed, which is what I'm trying to
guarantee. I've done two tests since, one without the exclude= line (which
fails), and the other with it (succeeds). The problem is that yum (or
Whitebox) is adding packages for which there is already an x86_64 version.
reduced installs :
   keyutils.x86_64 0:1.0-2
   openssh-clients.x86_64 0:3.9p1-8.RHEL4.12
   nss_db.x86_64 0:2.2-29
   nss_db.i386 0:2.2-29
   iputils.x86_64 0:20020927-18.EL4.1
   acpid.x86_64 0:1.0.3-2
   filesystem.x86_64 0:2.3.0-1
   nss_ldap.x86_64 0:226-10
   nss_ldap.i386 0:226-10
Whereas when those packages are excluded...
reduced installs :
   keyutils.x86_64 0:1.0-2
   openssh-clients.x86_64 0:3.9p1-8.RHEL4.12
   nss_db.x86_64 0:2.2-29
   iputils.x86_64 0:20020927-18.EL4.1
   acpid.x86_64 0:1.0.3-2
   filesystem.x86_64 0:2.3.0-1
   nss_ldap.x86_64 0:226-10
   stunnel.x86_64 0:4.05-3

I suspect yum, but need to test with a RH install CD to know...

jerry