[WBEL-users] 64-bit lib adventure

Wed May 31 07:34:57 CDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-31 at 00:34 -0500, Jerry Amundson wrote:
> Robert Heller writes:
> >   Jerry Amundson <jerry at pbs.com>,
> >   In a message on Tue, 30 May 2006 16:30:27 -0500, wrote :
> > JA> #Added line for the Box to stay x86_64 clean
> > JA> exclude=*.i386 *.i686 *.i586
> > JA>
> > JA> Also removed the audit-libs, cracklib, and pam "i386" packages from
> > JA> my /var/ftp/pub repo, and running...
> > JA> createrepo -x "*.i386.rpm" -g WhiteBox/base/comps.xml .
> > JA>
> >
> > You don't really want to do this!
>
> Well, yes, I did want to, and so I did... I actually found I only need the
> "exclude=" line in yum.conf, and not the -x param of createrepo.

The exclude line is what I do to maintain a clean box ... but I need
glibc.i686 and glibc-devel.i386 to build pacakges.

Other than those 2 RPMS, a pure x86_64 box can be maintained.

> > You might need to tweek yum (or whatever) to make sure it updates both
> > the 32-bit and 64-bit shared libraries.  You don't need to install any
> > 32-bit *programs* iff there is a 64-bit version and generally you don't
> > even think about 32-bit -devel packages.  There might be times when you
> > will want some silly little utility that has not been ported to 64-bit
> > (and might not be worth going through the hassle to make sure it is
> > totally 100% 64-bit clean).  You'll need the 32-bit shared libraries for
> > such programs.
>
> Not if such programs aren't installed, which is what I'm trying to
> guarantee. I've done two tests since, one without the exclude= line (which
> fails), and the other with it (succeeds). The problem is that yum (or
> Whitebox) is adding packages for which there is already an x86_64 version.
> reduced installs :
>    keyutils.x86_64 0:1.0-2
>    openssh-clients.x86_64 0:3.9p1-8.RHEL4.12
>    nss_db.x86_64 0:2.2-29
>    nss_db.i386 0:2.2-29
>    iputils.x86_64 0:20020927-18.EL4.1
>    acpid.x86_64 0:1.0.3-2
>    filesystem.x86_64 0:2.3.0-1
>    nss_ldap.x86_64 0:226-10
>    nss_ldap.i386 0:226-10
> Whereas when those packages are excluded...
> reduced installs :
>    keyutils.x86_64 0:1.0-2
>    openssh-clients.x86_64 0:3.9p1-8.RHEL4.12
>    nss_db.x86_64 0:2.2-29
>    iputils.x86_64 0:20020927-18.EL4.1
>    acpid.x86_64 0:1.0.3-2
>    filesystem.x86_64 0:2.3.0-1
>    nss_ldap.x86_64 0:226-10
>    stunnel.x86_64 0:4.05-3
>
> I suspect yum, but need to test with a RH install CD to know...

Up2date and yum will both install i?86 and x86_64 packages to meet
requirements.  With yum ... you can specify installs this way:

yum install openssh-clients.x86_64

(you won't need this now as you have exempted i?86 in yum)

One thing that is quite a PITA is this ... If you have installed both an
i?86 and x86_64 package the one installed last owns all common files
(docs, etc.).  If that package (the one installed last) is removed, all
the files that are common are also removed.

This can be a PITA as I needed some files in /usr/share/xxxxxxx that we
common and owned by an i386 package once ... but it was removed w/ the
i386 package.

Hope this lets you find issues before it bites you :)