[WBEL-users] Upgrade Path

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Nov 29 08:56:58 CST 2006

On Wed, 2006-11-29 at 14:11 +0000, Vic wrote:
> > apart from 'emotional attachment' I dont think
> > there is any other reason from your side thats ever come through as to
> > why not. If there is a reason why people would hesitate to move to
> > CentOS, perhaps we would like to know ? If there something that can be
> > done to fix that issue, then we will.
>
> This mail thread is the reason.
>
> I am heartily sick of being told how much better CentOS is, how WBEL is
> dead, how we should all switch to CentOS immediatley, how no other
> distribution can match it, that we chould switch to CentOS now, that
> anyone who does anything but switch to CentOS is wasting their time, how
> switching to CentOS is the only sane thing to be doing, how Resistance Is
> Futile.
>
> I'm not alone in this view.
>
> If you want to improve CentOS's appearance - stop trying to promote it at
> the expense of opyther distros. Feel free to tell the world what you're
> doing right. Stop telling people who aren't interested what you think
> they're doing wrong.
----
I suspect that you are reacting to some perceived pressure that wasn't
intended by CentOS users.

The fact is that it is relatively easy to switch a system over from WBEL
to CentOS and continue on and I think that was the point that people
have been trying to get across.

The choice of course is yours and it would appear that you have already
made it.

The problem with WBEL is that from its inception, it was driven by the
efforts of just one person and that's just too much work load for any
one person and your efforts, though similarly well-intentioned are
likely to suffer the same fate. In the end, it makes sense to join a
project where the workload is shared by a group so that the efforts can
be spread amongst many and there is overlap of responsibility. If and
when you finally get to the point where you have update packages built,
there still remains the problem of distribution of these updates which
is no small hurdle itself.

The reason I believe that WBEL is dead is that I see John Morris post on
Red Hat's Nahant mail list but won't respond on his own list here.

Craig