[WBEL-users] Up2date and WB3.0 Mirrors.

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Tue Oct 10 11:54:49 CDT 2006

Karanbir Singh spake the following on 10/10/2006 1:41 AM:
> Brian Thies wrote:
>> Greetings fellow users:
>> Over several months, the up2date gui interface almost never worked, I
>> started using yum to update my machines. However, I would much rather
>> use the gui interface.
>> Using the command line for up2date, I made a discovery about why the
>> gui doesn't work.
>> The mirrors for WB3 are badly out of date. only about 40% of the
>> mirrors that whitebox-mirrors points to are current. For example:
>> ftp.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu is being deprecated. jach.hawaii.edu doesnt
>> have a 3.0 directory. and phantomhosting.com has no whitebox
>> directories at all!
>> Any idea of who to talk to to get the mirror list updated?
>>

> try http://www.centos.org/
>
> is WBEL even being maintained anymore ?
>
> - KB

I haven't seen much traffic on the list since hurricane Katrina. Maybe John
has his hands full right now.
I second the idea of going to CentOS. I did last year, and haven't looked
back. I have been watching the list anyway, just to give something back to
Whitebox for the year I did use it.

CentOS has more maintainers, and much more activity on its lists. I don't want
to get into bashing John Morris, but he never intended for Whitebox to be
anything more than a distro for his parish library to use without the costs of
paying for RedHat.  To quote the homepage of Whitebox;

"Why was White Box Linux created?

White Box Linux's initial creation has been sponsored by the Beauregard Parish
Public Library in DeRidder, LA USA out of self interest. We have several
servers and over fifty workstations running Red Hat Linux and were left high
and dry by their recent shift in business plan. Our choices were a difficult
migration to another distribution or paying RedHat an annual fee greater than
the amortized value of our hardware. So we chose a third path, made possible
by the power of Open Source.... White Box Linux. "

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and