[WBEL-users] Up2date and WB3.0 Mirrors.

Phil Schaffner Philip.R.Schaffner at nasa.gov
Thu Oct 12 08:51:12 CDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-10 at 09:41 +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Brian Thies wrote:
> > Greetings fellow users:
> > Over several months, the up2date gui interface almost never worked, I
> > started using yum to update my machines. However, I would much rather
> > use the gui interface.
> > Using the command line for up2date, I made a discovery about why the gui
> > doesn't work.
> > The mirrors for WB3 are badly out of date. only about 40% of the mirrors
> > that whitebox-mirrors points to are current. For example:
> > ftp.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu is being deprecated. jach.hawaii.edu doesnt have
> > a 3.0 directory. and phantomhosting.com has no whitebox directories at all!
> > Any idea of who to talk to to get the mirror list updated?
> >

> try http://www.centos.org/
>
> is WBEL even being maintained anymore ?

Appears pretty dormant at best...

Last traffic on the whitebox-devel list: 25 Apr 2006
Last traffic on whitebox-announce list:	1 May 2006
Last John Morris message on whitebox-users list: 30 May 2006
Last *@beau.org message on whitebox-users list: 16 Jul 2006

Thanks to John and the library for getting me, and many others, started
on an EL distro with WBEL3; but see link above and others in this thread
for instructions on moving to CentOS.  The move from WBEL3 -> CentOS3
move was pretty painless for me long before good instructions were
available, and CentOS 4 has been great - timely updates, active
development team (thanks Karanbir), and very good community support.

Phil